Why the Dow Could be Headed Lower

By Kathy Lien

I read this fascinating study by Barclays Bank this morning on how the performance of the Dow in the month of January can set the tone for trading throughout the year. In the first month of 2009, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 12 percent. According to Barclay’s study, if there is negative equity market performance in the month of January, the odds of stocks ending the year low rises from 32 to 69 percent. This is based upon 74 years worth of data. Since currencies are taking their cue from equities, further weakness in the Dow could mean further strength for the low yielding US dollar and Japanese Yen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Quake Test Goes “Horribly Wrong”, Leaves 500,000 Dead In Haiti

I'm an accountant, I hate my job, but seriously, I wouldn’t know what else to do

Have We Reached a Top?